Stand Out Teacher Kathy Barbro Uses Elementary Art Fundraising Ideas
Here at Original Works, we are rooted in the philosophy that, “Children will always be creative. Parents, friends, teachers, and other adults will always cherish and admire this creativity.” In that light, we are going to regularly feature a Stand Out teacher that is embracing this philosophy.
Today we are happy to bring you all a Question & Answer with Kathy Barbro. Ms. Barbro has been teaching pre-k through 5th grade for the past 15 years and has been running an Original Works fundraising program during that time. She also runs the Art Projects For Kids website, which is a one-stop site for Art Teachers of all grades.
- How long have you been teaching art?
- I’ve been teaching art for 15 years and volunteered a few years before that.
- What grades do you teach?
- Pre-K through 5th grade
- What was it that sparked your interest in becoming an art educator?
- I fell in love with the charm of children’s art. The younger students especially just do it, without looking like they are trying.
- Do you have a particular art medium you like to use in your classroom?
- Watercolor is my favorite. Most of the all-time favorite paintings come from just watercolor and crayons.
- Tell us one of the more memorable things that a student has done in one of your classes?
- A few years ago my students helped to raise money to bring three artists from Haiti to be guest teachers for a week. It was a huge event for the entire school.
- Is there anything you would like to share with your peers about your career as an art educator?
- Over the years I have managed to peel away all the tasks I thought I had to do but really didn’t. It’s lightened everything up so I can enjoy my days!
- What made you decide to use Original Works to bring your elementary art fundraising ideas to life?
- When my son started kindergarten, I inherited the job from an out-going parent. My son is now 21!
- How have you used the funds raised by your Original Works program?
- The funds go to the PTA, who funds my job, plus drama and a computer lab.
If you are ready to be a Stand Out like Kathy, we would love to help you! Call us toll-free at 800-421-0020, or get our free program brochure today. We can’t wait to hear more about your elementary art fundraising ideas!